Thursday, April 13, 2017

Jesse's MMO Romp Part 4: First Impressions

Hello! This is it. This is the end of my MMO Romp. If you've read my previous post you already know I reached the conclusion that I do not want to play MMO's any more. I still wanted to finish putting my thoughts on the games I've played to paper. I actually didn't play too much Runescape so I'm leaving it out of this article. Without further ado here's my thoughts on Firefall, Age of Conan, Order and Chaos 2, and D&D Online.

Firefall:


I really wanted to like this game. I'm more of a shooter oriented gamer so I thought for sure I'd fall in love with this one as it is an MMO shooter. I did fall in love with it in fact. I mean what's not to love. The game has fast paced shooter action. The environments were nice and you get rocket boots.

I experienced a game breaking bug though. I got to one part on a mission where I had to activate a terminal to continue. When I activate it I get a loading screen. After the loading screen either nothing happens or I get logged out. If I try to go about the mission after the loading screen I eventually get to a point where the quest tracker literally tells me to go up over a vertical wall and return to the console to begin the quest. So I like this game, and may come back to it. For right now though I just don't want to bother.



Age of Conan:


I like this game immensely. It's the Conan universe which I love. You start out playing as a slave whose ship has run aground resulting in your freedom. The Combat is fun. I still don't have it quite figured out, but it revolves around you chaining combos together for big damage.

I played as a Cimmerian Ranger. I thought it was going to be more like a hunter. To my surprise my skill set was mostly Melee starting out. I didn't like that I the only bow I could find required me to be level 10 before I could use it. They even gave me a ranged ability even though I can't use the starter bow from the first trade post. I don't want to sound like I didn't like the game though. It's fun! Give it a try. 



Order and Chaos 2:


First off I have to say that I have played this game before on my phone. Yep, that's right, this game lets you play a full fledged MMO on your phone or tablet. There's also a version of it on the Windows store that will let you play the game on Windows devices. I installed the desktop version and set off to romp around and see the world.

I like this game. I have an instant interest in any game that will let me play as an Orc. I just like Orcs there's something powerful and primal about them that I love even if they are big ugly brutes. Anyway I dove right in and started questing. They're really good about directing you where to go. You get blue dotted line to help you find your way.

This game is also controller enabled. I plugged in my Xbox controller and went at it. The controls weren't the best though. I think the controls would be a lot better if turning the camera angle also made the character turn, but you get used to it. You also will do a lot better if you use the mouse to interact with the various interfaces in the game because they're not very intuitive with the controller. Sometimes pressing “A” does one thing sometimes it seems to do another.

All in all I had fun with this one though. It's free to play and you can take it with you on the go. So download it and have fun!

Dungeons and Dragons Online:


This one was a pleasant surprise as well just like Lord of the Rings Online. Once again if you can handle the HD textures by all means do it. It makes the game look much better than it would otherwise. I played as a human ranger. Unlike Conan I was able to use a bow from the get-go.

Leveling up in this game is more in line with actual D&D than it was in Neverwinter. I played about as much as I would have to get to level 10 in other games, but I'm still level 1. In this game you rank up before you level. At rank 10 you graduate to level two. You still get skill points for every rank so it doesn't make leveling up seem too daunting.

The game play wasn't too grindy there were all kinds of bonus zone objectives and quests. I had a lot of fun with this one. There are also puzzles that were semi-challenging. I think I might leave this game and Lord of the Rings online installed for whenever I feel the itch to play something MMO-like.



In any event thank you if you stuck around for my ramblings. Thank you to everyone that +1'd this blog at any point. I'll be back, but I don't know what I'll be writing about next.

No comments:

Post a Comment