Thursday, April 13, 2017

I'MMOut: My Personal Conclusion on MMO Style Games

As the title suggests I've come to a conclusion concerning MMO style games. In short I think they're for the most part not worth it. Right now you have two models the free to play / no subscription model and the subscription based model. They both have their good points.

Free to play is free which is good. There are still things that you'll have to pay for eventually though. If you want vanity items, extra bag room, or character slots then you'll end up paying. There are some games that still require you to purchase expansion content which is actually true across both models. But, for the most part these games would have you pay to take shortcuts for achieving most of the goals of the game from crafting to pets and mounts.

Subscription based games are probably going to end up being a little bit better. This is because the people that make the game are for the most part obligated to keep adding quality content. They can also give you pets and mounts from various achievements. World of Warcraft I would say has a great balance of vanity items for real dollars and others that you can earn.

By the same token developers are also making content that requires you to spend a good bit of time to achieve certain things whether it's mounts, pets, achievements, or even just leveling up. It's a delicate balance though because too long or short of time invested can lead to people leaving the game to go play something else that will reward them at a better interval.

At the end of the day I see this (just my personal preference) as just a big mind game. There are a lot of other games that I find to be better because these games actually have an end to them. Still though, modern games come out with a lot of DLC which I find (again just my preference) to be a better method of delivering content. There is DLC out there that feels like a whole new game (Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry for example) too, which I find to be a serious plus as the developer is giving people more bang for their buck when it comes to buying a season pass for something.

Of course content is added to MMO games all the time. I'm simply saying that the motivation is to keep you grinding away for something that seems less personal than other types of games. I know I've said before on this blog that I don't mind the grind, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately and that's what these games eventually turn into for me. To me it's either a ploy to keep me paying a subscription, or to have me pay for quality of life be it from short cuts or extra features.

I just think it's not my thing. Moving forward I think my focus is going to be on more single player games. I will miss multiplayer, but there are a lot of single player narrative games that have a multiplayer aspect to them, so I don't think I'll be depriving myself of that kind of play either. I know some people might think I'll be paying more money for less content because new games are upwards of 60 dollars or more. I'm an older gamer though, and I'd like to think I'm more patient than most. I can wait for a game to go on sale, or catch it in a humble bundle.

I think I still might keep a couple of these games installed at the end of the day. You never know when I'll get the itch to just mindlessly grind mobs. MMO's are alright sometimes. I just don't see myself dedicating a lot of time to them the way I used to.

Well if I go too much further with this rambling it's going to turn in to a specific rant, and That's not really what I'm about. So, I'll be dropping the last of my first impressions on the rest of the games I've been playing soon. From here on out this blog will be more about my [semi] collected thoughts from playing single player games. I still didn't touch much on my social anxiety when it comes to multiplayer games. I think that's best saved for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment