Monday, April 3, 2017

Jesse's MMO Romp Part 1: First Impressions

Hello again! I've spent most of this week playing MMO games that are either free, or do not require a subscription. Well, I just finished playing each game to level 10 so I thought I'd write down my first impressions of the games. It should be noted that I'm not trying to prove the superiority of any particular game. I'm also not trying to review the high end content such as high level PvP and Raids. I'm just recording my thoughts as I play these games very casually. This is more for the person that only wants to spend an hour or a little more a day playing doing mostly single player questing. Today I'll be reviewing Wildstar, Rift, and Elder Scrolls Online.

Wildstar :


First up we have a game that I was very excited to play as it was made by a lot of people that worked at Blizzard in the past. The game as you'd expect is highly customizable. If you have the Twitch Desktop app you can automatically install and keep up to date with several user made mods that can improve your experience in the game.

During my time with this game I played as a Mechari Engineer. If I had realized that this was a tanking class I probably would have picked a different class as I'm pretty burnt out on tanking for good. However, as a tanking class you can handle many mobs at the same time without any real fear of being killed. I did an instance by myself, but I think that was intended. It did feel nice to take out a flock of monsters with powerful abilities though. Quest tracking was amazing if you get really lost you can just click on the quest in the tracker and you'll be provided with a glowing blue set of arrows to point you in the right direction.

Graphically the game is great and has a surprising amount of detail considering how cartoony the game is. I actually joked with one of my friends that I felt like I was playing a Sly Cooper MMO. I ran this game on ultra with a GTX 970 and it ran great never dropping below 30 FPS. The gear is nice and detailed. I haven't looked into it yet but I'd like to have the option of coloring my gear later on as it looks mismatched otherwise. In the end I don't consider the multi colored gear a big negative cause I'm only like level 12, and the gear is going to change frequently

I had a lot of fun with this one and I can't wait to review the housing aspect of this game. I've never played an MMO other than Final Fantasy XI that let you customize your own space. 
 

Rift:


This one has been around for a while and I did play it back when it first came out. I will say this. The customer service is awesome I got locked out by an authenticator on the account that I had many years ago on an old phone, and the customer service team at Trion got back to me in about a day and helped me through the process of removing the device.

Graphically the game looks a little dated, but the graphics are still very nice. If you're on an older machine this game has some major late night grind potential. I played this game with mostly the highest settings on my Nvidia 9500 GT back in the day. This game is also very customizable so you can link it to your Twitch Desktop and install mods in a flash.

I actually played this game past level 10 to level 15. At first I felt a little bored by the game but once you get into the questing grind it gets better. It actually reminds me of old World of Warcraft where quests were more hub based than story line based. You go to a hub, and pick up 2 to 5 quests and explore the zone while completing them. You're going to have to make good use of the map in the game to get quests done, but that's part of the fun.

As far as the free to play aspect of the game I did a little research on the steam store. There's a lot to purchase to open up every aspect of the game if you want to play end game PvP and Raids. Looking at the user reviews there are a lot of people expressing hate for this game because of the huge price tag. At the end of the day It's not about that for me anyway, so I could care less. If you're bored and feel like hitting up some MMO style questing late at night then this game is a pretty solid choice.

The Elder Scrolls Online:


This game is not exactly free to play. You have to pay for the initial game and you can either buy the DLC or pay a subscription fee to access all DLC. I'm including it because there's not subscription fee for basic play. I actually played this game for 2 months as my main MMO back before I decided not to focus too much time on them, and play other games, so I have a lot to say but I'll try to keep it short and sweet here.

One of the great things about this game is the level of customization. Any class can wear any type of armor, and there's not really a set spec to play unless you're trying to do a lot of solo PvP, and be a top end raider. My main character in this game is an Orc Dragon Knight. At first I was a complete noob at this game and was using a two handed weapon. I later switched to dual wield.

This brings me to my next point: crafting. Crafting is a really big part of the game and it is very useful. From potions to armor, and enchantments your bag should always stay stuffed with crafting materials. If having a cluttered inventory bothers you then subscribe and you'll get a large crafting bag among other things.

Even though I'm not taking on this MMO as a hardcore end gamer I hold it in very high regard. I'm going to play it all the way through for the main story quest and maybe even go completionist and try to finish every free to play zone. I'll also say that the game is very close to being an Elder Scrolls 6. If you're bored with Skyrim give it a try. It's the closest thing to an Elder Scrolls 6 that we're going to have for a few years.



---

Anyway, these are my first impressions of the games above. I'll be back in a day or two to talk more about the other games I've been keeping myself busy with. I'll be reviewing: Arche Age, Firefall, Tera, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Neverwinter, Path of Exile, and Runescape. See ya around!

No comments:

Post a Comment